Friday, September 30, 2011

My Place by Ramana Rose Russell

The following poem was written by my niece and sent to my mother who then passed a copy on to me. 
Thank you Rose!

My Place
by Ramana Rose Russell

I touch the ancient lace of my Mother’s family kept in a chestnut drawer.
I think back on that pathway of ancestors who have brought me to this point.
The ships sailed from England to America full of antiquities for sale.
I think of how my family has grown and expanded since my youth,
and how we are all family somehow.
The bravery of my family reflects the bravery of yours.
I look at my pet bird and wonder how many animals have graced us with their camaraderie
Through all of those ages.
And what is my place here?
Like fresh cut roses and teddy bears and sippy cups, my place is the same as all others;
To bloom and to brighten.

2 comments: